MA in Economics
UdeM’s MA in Economics is a highly reputed program that will help you further improve your skills and carve out a choice place on the labour market.
It trains future experts to analyze economic realities and propose relevant solutions adapted to the needs of:
- State-owned corporations
- Financial institutions
- Industrial and commercial companies
The program comprises 2 streams to better meet students’ needs and aspirations.
Depending on the stream, students can benefit from up to $12,000 in financial assistance.
- Fall and winter admission*
- Daytime classes
- Full-time and part-time
- 45 credits
Research report stream
It is often possible to complete the MA in Economics degree with the research report stream in only 1 year (generally including 1 summer term), so that graduates can join the work force sooner. In addition to compulsory courses, this stream lets you expand on a specific subject and draft a “rapport de recherche” during a workshop of your choice: microeconomics, macroeconomics, etc.
The thesis stream takes you through the basics of research in economics with advanced courses and the writing of a master’s thesis. It requires a great amount of autonomy. Students themselves must develop their topic, find a supervisor who will oversee their work and collect all the required data.
This stream will better fit students who want to deepen their knowledge of a specific economic reality or aspect and eventually undertake doctoral studies, which can lead to a career in academia.
The “rapport de recherche” is written in accordance with a pre-established structure and defined elements outlined during the workshop. It accounts for 21 credits and averages 20 to 50 pages. Students are also invited to present their research orally at the end of the workshop.
Expertise at your fingertips
While the Université de Montréal MA in Economics requires very good mathematical skills, undergraduates of other related fields can also be excellent candidates for this program. This is the case of holders of bachelor’s degrees in political science and economics, who benefit from some preparatory courses before the start of the program.
* For academic reasons, students are not encouraged to apply for admission in the winter term. Only graduates from the honours stream at the Université de Montréal and students with an exceptional academic record (GPA of at least 4.0, or the equivalent) will be considered for winter admission.
Questions about this program?
Marine Carrasco, Program Co-ordinator
Myrtha Jean Mary, Student File Management Technician: 514 343-7213
Find a thesis supervisor
Job outlook for graduates in this discipline
The advantages of studying economics at the Université de Montréal!
- A unique opportunity to study in Montréal, ranked annually among the top 10 best student cities.
- Solid training in both applied and theoretical aspects of economics.
- Scholarships to facilitate your master’s studies.
- Option of working as a teaching assistant for undergraduate courses.
- Valuable links with 2 research centres.
- Following a recent independent study, UdeM’s Department of Economics has been ranked as one of the best departments of its kind in the Francophonie and the best in French Canada.
- According to the US News and the Shanghai Rankings, the Université de Montréal ranks among the top 100 universities in the world in economics.